Much has been written about the characteristics of great leaders. I have found 13 characteristics that hold true for the great leaders I have known. There are other ingredients to excellent leadership, but if you have all 13 of these characteristics, you are probably one of the elite leaders.
- Operate from a set of values
- Are Congruent and live their vision
- Are passionate and infect others with that passion
- Value Transparency
- Have high Emotional Intelligence
- Never stop learning
- Believe work is play
- Balance the needs of stakeholders and don’t worry about popularity
- Foster great followership
- Make large trust deposits
- Practice ubiquitous reinforcement
- Do better in a crisis
- Develop others
To read the details of these 13 dimensions, see my white paper.