26 Mind Mapping Tools to Get More Productive
Last year, I attended a mind mapping seminar. If you do not know what a mind map is, go here for a quick summary or scroll down to the bottom of the post for a video.
Mind mapping is a powerful tool, which appeals to both right and left-brain thinkers. It is allows you to become more productive in your business and personal life. Here is a short list of situations where you might use it:
- Creating content for presentations
- Problem solving
- Designing a website
- Developing a business plan
- Project planning
- Information management
- Personal development
- Be more creative
- Organizing information
- Communicate effectively
There is an overwhelming number of products out there which do some form of mind mapping, diagramming or other visual thinking service. It was time to compile a list, partly because I would like to settle in with one of these tools; the other reason is I want to hear what you think about them before I make a decision.
- Buzan World– Mind map originator Tony Buzan’s website and product site iMindMap®
- NovaMind – check out some of the educational videos on what mind mapping is about and why you need it. Keep up to date on their blog here.
- Mindomo – internet and desktop applications with free basic starter and upgrade plans
- FreeMind – Free mind mapping software written in Java. Download available through this site.
- MindManager – A Mindjet product free trial or subscription is available. Applications for iPhone, remember to check out their template gallery.
- Mappio – A free website to share your mind map with others
- Comapping – Free to low subscription rates for online mind mapping software. Beta desktop version is available.
- Edraw Soft – Vector based mind mapping freeware
- Mapul – Free web-based online mind mapping tool
- MindApp 6 – Free download trial available or take advantage of their special price of $29 for a limited time.
- Mindmeister – Free to enterprise plans available for online mind mapping. Featured maps.
- Xmind – Free and pro versions are available. Check out the XMind blog here to get new ideas.
- SmartDraw – Automatically draws and formats your mind mapping diagram.
- bubbl.us – Get started immediately when you land on this page – it is free. The video at the bottom of the page features this application.
- Glinkr – Open source, free web based mind mapping software, supported in Firefox, Opera and Internet Explorer.
- Mindview 3 – Professional mind mapping software with a free trial available
- Mind42 – Free web based application with the ability to collaborate.
- Visual Mind – Software based on the mind mapping technique.
- WiseMapping – Free software in beta version.
- Imagination Cubed – Free, free-form drawing program with limitations in creating mind mapping.
- Project Draw – Free drawing program with preformed basic shapes.
- Gliffy – Online diagram software that offers a free trial
- LooseStitch – Free or pay for pro. Create outlines and share documents.
- ThinkFold – Real time collaboration with work groups on projects, documents and presentations. Open source, free, beta version.
- Sproutliner – Free web based service to manage projects and ideas. Open source, beta version.
- Inspiration 9 – Visual mapping, outlining, writing and making presentations.
This is a quick video that shows how you can begin to mind map quickly.
Now it is your turn. Which mind mapping products have you used? What do you like or dislike?