I met Absolutely Abby a couple of years ago when she came to Rochester, NY. Since then, she’s been back three times. Two months ago, I moved to Charlotte, NC and she’s already been there too.
Abby is on a mission. It’s very simple. She wants to help one million (1,000,000) people get back to work. She figures she has said no to at least that many when she was a recruiter and could only hire one person for a job. She’s looking to pay it forward by helping others be successful.
Talking to that many people is a lot of work. It requires her to travel across the country and find places and organizations where she can speak and share her secrets. She has lots of secrets to share – I have heard most of her presentations and every time she leaves people in a better place to land their next job. She tells them what companies and recruiters won’t tell you. Armed with that information, it puts you in a better position to navigate murky job hunting waters.
Here are some of the articles I have shared over the years about her talks:
- Taking your Job Search by Storm with Absolutely Abby
- Exposing the Hidden Job Market with Absolutely Abby
- Absolutely Abby: Success for the Seasoned Search – The Benefit of Being Overqualified
- Winning over a Recruiter with Abby Kohut: Part 1
- Winning over a Recruiter: Part 2
- Job Hunting Tips Using Social Media
- Being Overqualified is not a Job Search Death Sentence
To continue her work, she needs the support of YOU and OTHERS. Every bit helps – just a $5 pledge from 15,000 people would help her reach her goal of $75,000.
I spoke with her today about not knowing she had the crowd-sourcing campaign running because we’ve become friends. If I don’t know, then I know others don’t know. She says asking for help is uncomfortable. I get it. You get it. The only way we can help someone feel good about asking for help is to help them when they do ask.
I like to think of my personal contribution as a pay it forward. I have not needed her help personally because I am not out of work. However, I have worked with many people who have benefited from her sage advice. I am sure you have too and if not, all the more reason to keep her on tour to get to your friends, family and colleagues.
There are only a few days left for YOU to make a difference and pay it forward to someone who is looking for work.
Here’s what I’m asking you to do to help Abby reach 1,000,000 people:
- Visit Absolutelyabby.com/tour2015 and watch the video.
- Share this link on your LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter profiles and tell them why contributing $5 will help one million people get back to work.
- Blog about how Abby’s efforts help our workforce to become stronger.
- Share the site via email with everyone that you know that can afford $5 –family members, employed friends, college alumni, etc. Ask them to give $5 and to share the link on their LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter profiles.
Know that when you’re done, you have paid it forward to someone who needs help to find a job and will be thankful for your generosity.